7.26.2009

{Leona Grover} 1916-2009

{This photo was taken at my brothers wedding about 6 weeks prior to her passing, it's of grandma and her 3 daughters Katie, Peggy, and Carolyn}

My sweet grandma passed away on July 25, 2009. It has been a week I will never forget. A good friend of mine was talking to me and told me that when her grandma passed she wrote down everything she could remember about her. I thought that was the best idea. I already find myself closing my eyes and trying to hold onto memories i have. I never want to forget. I saw my grandma in her final hours and those memories sometimes overtake my memories of the past, the good ones that i need to hold on to. I was able to tell her goodbye, it was a very peaceful and spiritual thing. I have gained a stronger testimony from it all.
So I will make a list of things i remember about my grandma so that i can read it from time to time and know that i can always remember her.

-Those bright beautiful blue eyes
-That infectious smile
-The way she stood just to my shoulders, i would have to lean over to hug her she was so small
-She always told me to tell Broc i love him alot because she regretted not doing that more with my grandpa.
-She lost my grandpa when he was only 60
-She ate like a bird, she would order a cup of soup at a restaurant and that was too much.
-Her cozy log home in Driggs. It always reminded me of a doll house.
-She loved to invite everyone up for a "Weeny roast" she would call them, her way of saying lets get together and have some good food.
-She ALWAYS wanted to look nice. She loved to wear new clothes and have her hair done. In fact when she fell and broke her hip she was wearing new shoes:) She's my grandma indeed.
-She loved to travel, she lived in Arizona for the winters for years and is known to make many trips to Jackpot and Sun Valley with her sisters. They were quite the group.
-She always cried when one of us had a baby or got married. She loved all of her grandkids.
-She loved to golf.
-She always wore Turquoise jewelry
-She enjoyed hiking and being outdoors
-She could always make us laugh.
-She was an example to me and i will miss her so much!

{Thank you so much to all who have been a huge support to me, it means so much}

11 comments:

Annalee Taylor said...

Im so sorry for your loss, its so hard even if it is the best thing. She reminds me of my grandma, something about the Valley that makes them so great, its in the water I think. I hope you make it through these next few weeks alright, Im sure she is so happy to be with her husband and family, its just hard for us still here. Hang in there.

Colette said...

Your last two posts about your Grandmother are so sweet Amber and will be something that you'll hang onto in the future. I'm so glad that you got those pictures of her before she passed away. I'll be thinking of you this week at this difficult time. Treasure the memories you have had with her.

Nicole Stucki said...

Ah Amber that was so sweet. I did the same thing and wrote down everything that I could remember about her. I should do it again on my blog so my kids can read it when I put it into a book. Your grandma sounds like a great lady! I bet her husband is excited to see her. It's been awhile.

Kassie Crapo said...

Amber, Im so sorry to hear about your grandma. I remember when my grandma passed and it was extremely hard. I am glad you wrote those things about her...something that I never did, but I think I will because you inspired me. I am thinking of you and know that she will be watching over you and your family.

Bree said...

I'm so glad you wrote down your memories...that's something I {still} need to do for my dad...sad how quickly they can fade. She sounds like such a sweet lady and I can totally see a few things she's passed down to you :)

Jessica said...

They announced her passing in our ward on Sunday and I just instantly thought of you! Just know you were being thought about!
I think writing about your grandma is a WONDERFUL thing. I bet as the days pass on, you will remember more and should add to that list!
She was a beautiful lady, and I am sure it was an honor to be her granddaughter.
I have a poem/story I received when my grandma passed away and I read it often. It was given to me with an angel pin. Therefore, always being my guardian angel. When I lost my little girl in February, I pulled out that angel - put it on, and felt so much comfort knowing I had 2 guardian angels. (I could email you it?)
I am sure it was a glorious reunion with your grandma and grandpa!

Anonymous said...

oh Amber, so sorry about your sweet Grandma. She was truly a wonderful lady. {and stylin' too :) } At least you know that you will be with her once again :)

cortney and neil said...

I am so sorry Amber. I don't think we are ever really ready for our loved ones to leave us. Hang in there.

Brandi said...

Oh Amber Im so sorry. It doesn't matter the situation it is always hard to loose someone you love. I love to think of the beautiful reunion that goes on in heaven when we are all greaving hear on earth and it makes the sting go away a little. Hang in there.

Ashley said...

Amber, I am so sorry you lost your sweet grandma. She sounds like a wonderful lady. Now she can finally be with her eternal companion!! That's great you are trying to keep her memory alive!!

Peggy said...

Amber thank you for posting the pictures of grandma grover. I didn't get any of her in the hospital, I liked seeing them. your family is so sweet.